Sunday, November 06, 2011

Oozing Plum Cake

A long time ago when Plums were in season I made this cake. This one is a beauty not only in appearance but in flavors too. Plus like most of my cakes it is light and how I love to bake with fruit. The plum on baking concentrates in tartness and sweetness and the fragrance is heavenly as you bite into a piece. This is an upside down cake so it is given that the place where the fruit and cake meet is soaked and soft. If you prefer to have your cake dry then using this same recipe make a plum sauce and dress up the sponge. The star anise in this cake lends the spice notes that make anyone happy, its unusual in a cake!

When I baked this cake I did not have a single whole star anise, it was all broken in my spice box and was waiting to be used for a longish time. I don't use star anise much in my curries but preserves are another thing. I wanted to bake it again when I had plums and a whole star anise to stud the cake and make a glamorous picture for the blog but then I waited long and the plums went out of season and I did not get to buying star anise again. So here I am posting with the only picture  I have of the cake.

This is a very simple recipe so follow me...
 
Ingredients

1 cup Plums cored and sliced
2 tablespoons of sugar
2  star anise
Cake sponge
1.5 cups All purpose flour
1/2 tin sweet condensed milk
1/4 cup oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon star anise powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of sugar or more
some milk to adjust the thickness of the batter

Grease a 3 inch baking tin, I used my hexagon. Grease it and dust it only on the sides, prepare it for the baking. Now layer the slices of ripe plum at the bottom of the tin. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar and star anise powder. Keep aside.

Preheat the oven at 185 deg Celsius. I like to use my convection oven for this so it take 10 mins of preheating.

Now in a mixing bowl beat up the sweet condensed milk, oil and sugar together till it is dissolved.

Sieve together the flour, star anise powder, baking powder and salt. Now fold in this aerated dry mix little by little into the liquid mix. Incase the batter is thick use a little bit of milk.

Then pour the batter over the plum slices. Put the baking tin into the preheated oven and bake till the knife when inserted in the sponge comes of dry. You will see the plum sauce bubbling on the sides, that is how it should be. It takes about 25 to 30 mins for a golden bake.

Let it cool for 10 mins then turn over in a plate or cake holding dish. Be careful and the sauce may still be hot. Make sure the fruit is now topping the cake. Let the sauces flow over the cake that's what will give it the oozing look.

This cake tastes besk when fresh and warm. The aroma of the baked plum and star anise is absolutely divine. Bake it! Experience it!!

11 comments:

  1. baking with fruit is a new phenomeno which I am discovering bit by bit...used pum for the first time this year and am hooked. this cake looks so so good with that juicy plums oozing such gorgeous colours all over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plum cake really oozes with flavours and looks awesome..:) Loved it..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Sayantani each fruit lends such a beautiful flavor and aroma. I never have to use essence while baking not even vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reva thanks for your comment and keep visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely cake!
    Are you looking for a 'dropping consistency' if adding more milk?

    How is Chimi?

    ReplyDelete
  6. TC good to see you comment after a long time :) Hope you are doing good. Yes dropping consistency like the usual cake batter it should fall in folds. Chimi is doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very delicious n yummy..vibrant in color too

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummy juicy and lip smacking plum cake.
    indu srinivasan
    kattameethatheeka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. downright sinful Anjali, its a treat to even watch, and I am drooooling !!! you making me miserable !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg, cake looks absolutely divine and fabulous..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ladies sing along Plum plum plum!! :D:D

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail