Saturday, January 09, 2010

Tondli Chana Dal Bhaaji

I am an intuitive cook and sometimes a simple bhaji turns out so good that it has to be put on this space.

The chana dal and coconut compliments the tondli really well. This is not a pairing I am used to. Some experimentation makes the everyday food so exciting. Since it is simple and salad like I enjoyed one large helping of the bhaaji in my lunch box with 2 phulkas.

Ingredients

1/4 kg Tondli/ Ivy gourd
1/4 cup chana dal, soaked overnight
1 heaped tablespoon grated fresh coconut
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 green chili chopped

Clean and cut the tondli into lengthwise slits. Wash the chana dal which was soaked overnight.

Now heat the oil. Make a seasoning with mustard seeds. On crackling, add the ivy gourd and chana dal and give it a stir. Let is cook with lid on for 5 mins. Remove lid, add 1/2 cup water and turmeric powder, red chili powder, chopped green chilies etc. Cook till soft. It took me about 20 mins. Remove the lid. Mix in the grated coconut.

Eat it with any kind of roti or just as a single bowl meal.

1 comment:

  1. I like my everyday bhaaji's simple ... this is so perfect for a no-fuss weekday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail