Saturday, May 09, 2009

Navalkol Moog Dal


I had taken a break from work for 4 days to let my injured elbow and shoulder heal. It is an occupational hazard to be sitting at a laptop all day and night. Work was hectic last couple of months and my online pursuits add to the trouble so finally I needed rest. Just the rest has relieved the pain.

While I was at home expected some respite from cooking and cleaning but no matter what till I have steam I got to keep going thinks the Dad. He has also been sulking a bit after Chimi has come home. His share of attention is now distributed. So I was cooking twice a day which is one time less than when I am home on normal days.

Dad knows I don't like smelly stuff. Navalkol or knol khol is not one of my favorite vegetables. I find it Ugra or having sharp odor. It is also called Kohlrabi is what I learnt through blogs. It is a swollen stem that forms the vegetable.

Dad instructing me, "make it with chana dal." Chana dal won't cook fast, so I used Moog dal instead. While it was cooking I tasted it for salt and actually liked it. I did not want to eat the bhaaji with chapati however I made stuff parathas with the leftovers and they tasted delicious.

Ingredients

1 Navalkol/ Kohlrabi grated thick
1/2 cup moog dal
1/2 teaspoon mustard
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
2 teaspoons oil

Heat oil in a wok. Do the seasoning with mustard and asafoetida. After crackling it add the grated Navalkol stir it to coat with oil. Follow in with moog dal. Mix and add water, about 2 glasses. Add the spice powders. Let is cook on medium for 10 mins. Stir well to avoid the moog dal from sticking to the bottom. Add more water if the bhaaji is drying out.

Stir and let it simmer with lid on for a while till the moog dal is cooked all thru and looks fluffy. Add the salt and cover and cook for 5 mins.

I served it with phulka for just Dad. as I skipped lunch. Break a piece of phulka and scoop up the bhaaji or put it on the roti and roll it up. It is non messy and satisfying. It turned out rather fragrant and that surprised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail