Sunday, March 29, 2009

Tomato Chutney, Rasavalu Batata Nu Shaak

& my Kasuri Methi Bhature

I had a lovely three day weekend. I thank the Lord for it. Ask me what I did. I was just relieved of thoughts that trouble me. It means I must thank W for giving a patient ear to my outpour and spending that much time with me.

Obviously the food this weekend reflected the relaxed mood in its colors, variety and that I actually searched the blogs for somethings nice to cook. Then I thought why not join MBP March 2009 too. It is hosted this time by Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine while the initiation of the event happened at The Spice Cafe.

Tomato chutney from Konkan World

This is a really nice and easy chutney. I did not have methi seeds so I used Udid dal for the seasoning. Next time I will try with garlic like my old neighbor made. Brings back memories of Pergannu and tomato chutney mixed in it...Yum!


On the top right Rasavalu Batata Nu Shaak from The Spice Who Loved Me
&
my Kasuri Methi Bhature (I also made Kelyacha Shikaran shh~)

We Indians have an obsession for the Potato curry with fried bread, don't we? You see regional combos all over India in different colors, consistencies and it is still the most favorite meal at any time be it breakfast, lunch, brunch, high tea or dinner. I love my Marathi Batatyachi suki bhaaji and Puri as much as I love this Gujarathi Rasavalu Batata Nu Shaak but this time I combined with my Kasuri Methi Bhature, a Punjabi dimension. This eclectic platter turned out to be an example of unity in diversity and a reflection of our changing eating habits. The Rasavalu Batata Nu Shaak was just like Preeti's Mummy used to make in Fort.

Thank you Maya and Trupti for the recipes!

And here is the recipe of my Kasuri Methi Bhature

Ingredients

1/2 cup All purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup Kasuri Methi /dried fenugreek leaves
1 cup curd
salt
Oil to knead and fry

Put all ingredients in a big bowl and knead to smooth dough. Add a table spoon of oil and knead again for 5 mins. Let it rest for another 5 mins before you start rolling out 3-4 inch diameter discs. Heat oil on high. Reduce to medium. Then fry the discs of dough till nicely puffed. Splash a little oil to make them swell like a balloon and to get the perfect hot bhature.

My Dad who is my biggest critic enjoyed the meal and then taunted "I follow a strict diet but only because you force me, I have to eat this!"

Well...well am I not allowed to indulge even on weekends. I don't smoke, drink or party hard. I just freak out on food that too the food that I make. Gosh if W is reads this I'm dead.

Also showing our Gudi Padva/ Ugadi Thali

Clockwise: Dal Holege & Kai Holege (Tur Dal Poli & Coconut Poli), Masur Dal fry with rice, Papad, Mixed veg koshimbir and Curd rice.

2 comments:

  1. wonderful plate...so inviting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you liked the shaak...its a classic with puris indeed, and I'd love to try it with the Methi bhatures.... :)

    trupti

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail