Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Phodnicha Bhaat



OR Talela Bhat (Koli) has criminal properties of causing hyperacidity. Yet as a young girl I loved it. At the time I could even have it for breakfast. Mom would say you puke so much after having it yet you won't give it a miss. Yes I loved it that much!

The Phodnicha bhaat is made in many different ways. It has its cousins among South Indian Lemon rice and some what complex Puliogare. But this one is my Mom's recipe. This is always made with leftover rice from the previous night. The garlic makes sure that the bio blooms are destroyed and the rice is safe for consumption besides making it yummy. I am not a big fan of strong garlicky flavors but I like it in this rice.

Ingredients

1 bowl cooked rice
4-5 pods garlic mashed
1/4 teaspoon mustard
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoon oil
salt to taste

In a wok heat the oil. Splutter the mustard seeds. Fry the mashed garlic. Mix in the turmeric, cooked rice and salt. Cover and cook for 5 mins.

Enjoy it for breakfast thats the right time for it.

With such a simple recipe I must tell you the joys are really simple.

8 comments:

  1. This is n ew to me...looks easy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. phodnicha bhaat ani thode dahi ...mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is new and so easy.

    When you care for someone sometimes just seeing them happy is all that we want even if they hurt u in the process....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is somethin ne w and easy liked the name...

    ReplyDelete
  5. phodnicha bhat mazya aawadicha ... yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anjali when we were old my mom used to make that from leftover rice. Good one :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this right away after reading your easy recipe. I am still learning to cook Indian food. It was so delicious and so easy. Reminded me of my "Aji's" cooking growing up in Mumbai. My son loved it too. Thanks.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon thanks for your comments. So did you tell your son stories about your Aji while you ate?

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail