Saturday, May 16, 2009

Navalkol Kofta Curry

Now that you know that Navalkol or Kohlrabi is not my favorite veggie you are guessing right that I tried experimenting to make it acceptable to my palate. Well is there a better way than making koftas. It looked very pretty too in a tomatoey gravy, if there is such a word.

This is also a log of me succumbing to the charms of frying in an appam pan, the phenomenon that has swept the blog world. But I used more oil. Ideally one should try to use as less as possible. I am still to work out the optimum oil utilization. It does given even frying and smaller pieces which makes it easy for serving and pragamatic indulgence.



Ingredients

For Kofta
1 bulb of Navalkol/ Kohrabi, grated
1/2 cup Chickpea flour/besan
1/4 cup or more wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
salt
oil to fry

Put all the ingredients in a bowl and knead together. Shape into small balls the size of a gulabjamun and deep fry using the appam pan. Turn over to get even color. Fry till golden brown on slow heat.

For the gravy

2 tomatoes chopped
2 onions chopped
2 green chilies
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
1 teaspoon any special curry masala ( I used Catch's Shahi paneer masala)
2 teaspoon oil
salt

Heat the oil. Fry the onions till trasluscent. Add the ginger garlic paste and green chilies and stir well. Add the tomatoes and cook till soft. Puree this masala in a blender.

Heat the ground masala and thin it a bit to make it into gravy as thick or thin as you like. Add the curry masala and salt. Boil for 10 mins. Till masala blends well into the curry.

To serve put the kofta in a bowl and ladle the gravy over it. You cannot even make out what the kofta was made with. Yet it is fragrant with the unmaskable Navalkol smell.

We quite enjoyed it with hot phulkas. The Navalkol Koftas surprised my Dad no end and his eyes said good job! Even though he was not vocal that was enough for me. I am still a Daddy's girl trying to please him once in a while so that at other times I can do my own thing ;)

And...


Our tea time snack came from Vidya Shenoy aunty. Wonderful cripsy, light and perfectly tan colored Chakli. I rarely make chaklis as I find them a daunting task so these were a treat.Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail