Monday, July 21, 2008

Cauliflower Ras Bhaaji


This Bhaaji is a sweet n sour one made with tangy tomatoes and sweetened with jaggery. The bhaaji gets its name because is has juicy tomatoes and mushy cauliflower. It is made most times in my home to go with hot puris yet can be mixed well with rice too.

When I made it for my Mom's thali I had a lot leftover the next day. I packed it for lunch along with bread slices. The bread slices dunked in it taste yummy. I don't know how, why this friend wanted to lunch with me, yes its unusual in this case. Since the bhaaji was stale I didn't want to share it with the friend, you know how you feel odd to do such things when you care for some person. Inspite of telling that I am a pure vegetarian may be a little more than this friend of mine, my box was being stared at continuously as if it was a Non-veg curry. Some people are just not open minded. I forgive the stares but feel sorry my heart didn't allow to share, had it been fresh I would have. I am old fashioned in some matters.

So do you want this recipe that got unwanted attention but ask me how much I enjoyed the bhaaji.

Ingredients
1 head cauliflower cleaned and florets broken.
2 juicy tomatoes, quartered
1 onion, quartered
2 teaspoon oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
2 green chilies sliced
2 teaspoon of jaggery powder
2 glasses water
salt to taste

For masala
1/4 cup grated fresh coconut
1 handful cilantro
2 tablespoon groundnut powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder

Grind together all the masala items and make a paste. Save.

In a pressure cooker pour oil, splutter mustard seeds, add asafoetida, green chilies. Now add the cut veggies, onions etc. add the masala and give it a good stir. Cook for 5 mins so the cauliflower is coated with oil. Add jaggery and the salt. Top up with water. Use less or more depending on the thickness you want for the curry. Allow 3 whistles, cool. Stir well after opening the cooker. The curry should have mushy consistency.

Enjoy hot or stale with any type of leavened, unleaved bread or rice.

7 comments:

  1. First time here. You have nice blog. Very nice recipe of cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something different..i have to definitely make this..looks delicious...would love this with rice..cauliflower is my fav..always ona lookout for diferent recipes..this one i will definitely try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Initially I never liked cauliflower in gravy, but when I moved to bangalore, I had to have it many times while eating out. Now I like it very much. your recipe is looking tasty. will try next time. good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome here Shriya.

    Ranji have you ever had more than one dish in a meal made from cauliflower? Like in a thali, cauliflower biryani, curry, dry bhaaji....I think you will love it;).

    Bhawana and then Blr is synonymus with gobi manchurian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anjali, for the kokum saar with khimti, can i just extract the kokum ras by soaking the kokum in water. I dont have any kokum juice on hand- but i do have fresh kokum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Priyanka you can do that just soak the kokum in hot water to get a nice extract.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail