Saturday, March 01, 2008

Uliche Thalipeeth

Thalipeeth made with guess what?



This time roasted on a frying pan Follow the recipe exactly as given here Thalipeeth Just Zakas !

Hold on why am I posting it again?

This time its the spring onions that replaced the red onions in this traditional recipe. It imparts a heightened fresh taste. I used 2 tender spring onion or shallots as they are called. In Marathi is it called patticha kanda and in Koli it is called Ul.


Since I made the Thalipeeth in a wok last time some had asked if it could be made on a gridle or frying pan. So this time I made it in a frying pan and since it was flat allowed to be roasted on both sides unlike the wok version which gets roasted only on one side.

Yes and yet another combination to serve thalipeeth with curd.

Update:
Bee tells us that spring onions are called scallion and the small red, Madras onions are called shallots. Wiki too elaborates on this confusion. Colloquially though the term scallions and shallots are used interchangeably. Infact not just Madras onion any red onion is called shallot. After this enlightenment I guess I won't mind one of my fave cooks, Kylie Kwong call red onions, shallots.

7 comments:

  1. this is a great use for spring onions.

    nitpicking here, but shallots are the small red madras onions. spring onions are called scallions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mouth is watering looking at the picture itself..
    have used spring onions in chinese fried rice and noodles and salads..yours is such a good idea..will surely do this way next time

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a lot of confusion around the globe regarding the smaller onions. Shallots, spring onions, chives, scallions (we dont have those here - we call them shallots), green onions (which we call spring onions), and it goes on and on....

    It would be great if someone did a post with pictures to solve all the confusion. ?? .

    Anyway, your dish looks wonderful. Can I come for lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on over Vegeyum :).

    Sowmya infact we can use spring onions to replace onions in all dishes its a whole new taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am using this picture on my blog. in case you have any objection please let me know.
    http://kayvatelte.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mahendra sure go ahead and use.A Please sounds better though :). Credit the source on your blog and I am ok with it. .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot. Have used it and given credits as well..
    I am not able to post comment using WOrdpress ID..
    Blog URL..http://kayvatelte.co.cc

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail