Monday, July 23, 2007

Tuti Fruiti Bread

Its been lying in the draft for 2 months yet din't get fungus on it. So when I have time will write the recipe. Someone had written about it. Here is to Bachpan ki yadien!
________________________________________
Updated: 21/08/07

Hello friends!!!

I am posting again after a long long time. Almost a month long gap. Its been a busy time at work after I returned from an outing with my family in Maharashtra. Last 2 months have been draining as I completed building a portal for my part of the organization. This blog always gives me some respite in my busy schedule. Yet I was going through a phase like most do when you just don't have enough energy to do thing you like the most. I was however reading your blogs and commenting too :).

So here we go with the recipe that you guys had to wait for so long.

Ingredients



2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
0.5 cup warm water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 handful tuti fruiti bits
1 teaspoon sugar for the yeast
1 teaspoon sugar incase the tuti fruiti bit are not dusted with sugar

Are you ready to go.

Put the sugar in a small bowl and add warm water to it. Sprinkle the active dry yeast over it and let it stand. After 10 mins when it is frothy mix the all purpose flour in a large bowl with the frothy yeast. Add the salt and warm milk and mix with wooden spoon to get a ball. Rub the butter into the dough. Remove on a lightly flour dusted counter. Knead well. If the dough is messy add little more flour but not too much.

Grease a big bowl generously and place the dough to rise. One hour should be good enough or till it doubles in size.

Next roll out the dough into a rectangle. Sprinkle the tuti fruiti bits on it. The tuti fruiti bits that I used had sugar dusted on it. If they are not dusted with sugar use 1 teaspoon sugar to make the dough sweet. Then shape into a loaf by folding it like a letter ready to be inserted in a long envelope. Pinch the seams so they don't open up when baking. Leave it to double up again before you put it into the oven.

Bake in preheated oven for 25 mins at 190 deg cel. Once light golden brush with butter to get the shine. Cool for couple of hours before slicing the bread.

Dunk it in milk, tea or coffee and remember me. Enjoy!!

23 comments:

  1. Hi Anjali! looks colorful and yummy. Might be great tasty too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes it used to be my favorite while I was a kid. used to eat up all the cherries. waiting for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember going to the insustrial exhibition in hyderabad and buying Modern tuti fruity bread from their stall...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so nice, moist and sweet. I love this bread. Shall wait for your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice will look for the recipe when u 'll post it .......i make tuti frooti cake ...it tastes amazing.
    www.sofeminine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome coloufull bread...looks soft and fresh...thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is avl only in india and not in US. When I crave bread I crave for this particular type. If you could post the recipe, me and all my friends (who have the similar craving) will thank you thousand times :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anjali! you have been tageed by me on my MeMe game. If you are free, just visit my meme article.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ya you are right . I was used to carry this bread for treks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey anjali, please post the recipe. I can't keep drooling anymore....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anjali,
    Kai jhala? Hope all well at your end, no post since a while!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey
    this is totally reminding me of my bahpan ki yadien. I was so in love wid these clorful slices. I havent found them since a long time. And this is truly a MUST_TRY thingy. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely Bread Anjali. It looks absolutely like the Britannia ones

    ReplyDelete
  14. BTW Anjali. YOu have mentioned sugar in the recipe, but not in the ingredients. How much sugar do I use??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shella welcome here, I have updated the recipe. Let me know how it turns out. Thanks fr your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. when you mention all purpose flour, does it mean self raising flour which has baking powder already mixed in it or plain maida? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks another query. doesn't this recipe require baking powder or soda? thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  18. It would help to know your name :). About the leavening, the yeast does it for breads so baking powder not required. I use baking powder only for cakes. This is a desert bread.

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks Anjali. my name is Reshma.

    ReplyDelete
  20. after one hour of keeping you are saying to leave it to double up again before putting in oven. How much time should we keep the same ? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Avantika The doubling might take an hour or more at 32 deg celcius room temp.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail