Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Farsan Bhaaji

Made with Bhavnagri sev (16 Aug 08)

Phulka, Farsan bhaaji, Kachumbar, chutney, Mithi Kairi and Pears.

Like the Three Faces of Eve I wonder how many I have. Marathi on all days, South Indian on some I guess I can call myself that its 2 years in Blr now. However today is Gujju day for me and time for a Thali. I made a Gujju Thali of Phulka, Farsan bhaaji, Kachumbar(Koshimbir), chutney, Mithi Kairi (Moramba), Pears.

Updated: This farsan bhaaji is made by Gujarathis as well as Rajasthanis. The folklore goes that since some parts of Gujarat and all of Rajasthan cannot boast of too many vegetables grown there. They came up with this dish. Also I know for sure Gujjus have a thing for food and are know to create such gems for something different in there veg diet!


Ingredients

1 cup any type of farsan (ganthia, bhavnagari shev, papadi, I used Boondi and shev)
2 big onion chopped long
2 tomatoes diced
few curry leaves
2 green chilies chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander seed powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
1 tablespoon oil
1 handfull chopped cilantro
salt to taste

Heat oil on high. Fry the onions till pink and the curry leaves. Add tomatoes let them melt into the pot to form a paste. Add the spice powders and green chilies. Mix well. At this point add the farsan. You will see I used salted boondi and thin sev for this bhaaji. Stir and mix in salt as per taste be careful not too add too much as the farsan already has salt in it. Well if you find the mix too dry sprinkle some water to evenly coat the farsan with the masala. Garnish with cilantro.

Enjoy the Farsan Bhaaji with hot phulkas as I did. Doesn't it look like white pea bhaaji? Fooled you!!


10 comments:

  1. Hey ! Thats very innovative again!
    very handy in emergencies :)

    This reminded me of the shevbhaaji that i had in khandesh - red hot spicy and with one inch of red oil floating on it - but sooooo tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aga nahi thats not really new. It is traditional gujju stuff. Humm misal var pun vadhtat. That red oil layer is called tari in khandesh. I have seen people request for it at eateries in those areas. Have you tasted Mamledar misal at Thane?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting - I had heard of it but had never seen a recipe. ...and Rajasthanis make subzi with papad too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard about this Farsan recipes from many but never tried one, I will bookmark this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a thai this one is .Such a full meal ..Too good one ...I wish i could have come over for lunch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anjali...you re eating healthy and sumptuous meal..quite elaborate too !! I wish I had that food for my today 's lunch !!!
    Shn

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend told me abt this.. colorful and mothwatering..

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a smart idea. I just read in Kajal's blog abt stuffing karela with sev, now yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anita yes thats true. Some parts of Gujarat and Rajasthan are places with scarcity of veggies. So they tend to use farsan and besan atta a lot in there curries. Also the ever veggies try to create these things to staisfy their cravings for something different.

    Deepa come over we can cook up somehting special and its always fun to have some one to share with.

    Shn Farsan bhaaji is far from healthy. So got to eat Kachumbar and fruit you will agree.

    Lata, suganya, priya try it out it will soon become your dependable one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting and delicious bhaaji... Thanks for sharing....

    Also visit : https://sites.google.com/site/mydinnerstuff/

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail