Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Lemony Cake




One Sunday I woke up really late at 9 am. That's late by our standards. We rise early no matter what day it is. So for an unusual lazy day it was a day for brunch. The menu we decided would be something sweet, something sour and something spicy. Humm that's difficult to zero in on 3 distinct flavors and recipes. I checked the stocks. I had lots on the day, spinach, flours of different kinds, cabbage, lemon, curds, milk etc.

So we finally agreed to make Lemony cake, Nanchni-Palak-Kobi Kababs (recipe to follow), Baked Cherry Tomatoes.

The first recipe from this platter put up here is of Lemony Cake.

This is an on the spot recipe made from things available yet it turned out pretty looking and quite unusually light.

Ingredients

2 lemons

1.5 cups all purpose flour

1.5 cup sugar

1 cup milk

1/4 ghee

1/4 cup semolina

1/2 cup curd

1/4 teaspoon soda bicarb

2 teaspoon baking powder

1 pinch of yellow food color.

Preparation:

In a bowl mix the semolina, curd and soda bicarb and keep aside to rise for min 15 mins.

Hold the lemon in the hand and with a fork scrape off the zest and keep aside. Then squeeze the juice and collect in a bowl and keep aside.

The Cake:

Sieve the dry ingredients flour, baking powder together and keep aside.

Meanwhile beat together the milk, 1 cup sugar, ghee till fluffy.

Then fold in the flour mix in the liquid blend. Keep the same direction for mixing. As the aeration is retained at optimum by this. The batter should be smooth and creamy and light too. Lastly mix the curd semolina mix and the food color till homogenized. Just before the batter is poured in the tin mix in the juice of the lemon and the zest.

Grease a cake tin of 4 inch diameter and bake at 180 deg Cel till done about 30 mins. Check by poking with a knife in the center. A clean knife indicates a ready cake.

To decorate:

Heat 0.5 cup sugar with 1 tablespoon water to get a syrup. Add few drops of lemon juice to get a clear syrup. Put the heat off once honey like consistency is achieved.

Now slice the lemon and dip each slice in the syrup using a tong and decorate the cake like shown. Pour the rest of the syrup over the cake.


Note : I am posting this recipe for tomorrow just before I move. My co-ordinates are under transition so I may not have access to the net for about a week. I'm going to chase them to settle me down quick but don't know how soon. Till then enjoy this Lemony Cake dear Friends!

4 comments:

  1. I have missed out on so many of your posts ,just went through them.Pithachi bore are interesting.Even I like to see an aeroplane :),and the cake looks yummy :)
    I saw your school when I was in Mumbai few days back:).I was searching for the bor wala outside the school, but the taxi sped away:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Archana how have you been? Nice to see you back. You did that! cho chweet of remembering all those things I write. Hope youre visit was good. It is really hot there. I too was in Mumbai last month and was in the area twice.

    Many of my schoolmates tell me that their kids scream "Mommy's school when the pass by!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anjali,
    Nice one...arrey I have you on my list since a very long time, aajach baghitla ka??
    Nandita

    WIll call you Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail